Legal Question in Family Law in New York

Can my spouse change the locks on the house so i can not retrieve my belongings unless he is there?

Asked on 11/20/09, 5:45 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Paula McGill Attorney at Law

More information is needed. Do you both own the house? How long were you gone? If you have equal rights to the house, you can call a locksmith to open the house to obtain your belongings.

You can also initiate divorce proceedings. The court will decide if he can stay in the house. If you have rights to the house, he may be ordered to vacate.

Also licensed and practicing in New York.

Read more
Answered on 11/26/09, 5:11 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New York