Legal Question in Family Law in New York

My wife and I moved from Texas to NYC a year ago, however, we never changed our residency. We sold our TX house in December and have rented an apartment as our primary residence since we moved to NYC. If we file for divorce, do we have to do it in NYC or can we do it in Texas?

Asked on 7/16/13, 10:41 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Kristen Browde Browde Law, P.C.

If you've lived here for a year you can file here.

Read more
Answered on 7/16/13, 10:42 am

Jordan Trager Wisselman, Harounian & Associates, P.C.

You can file in New York if you have lived here for 1 year. As far as the laws in Texas are concerned you would need to speak with a Texas divorce lawyer.

Read more
Answered on 7/16/13, 10:44 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New York