Legal Question in Civil Litigation in New York

My boyfriend bought a car for me the vehicle should have been put in my name but we put it in his because I was working and had put trust in him. I have been paying him 200.00 a month and have receipts for this which he has signed. Can he take the car from me. Him and I had a verbal agrrement I would pay him monthly until the car is paid off.. Then he switched it up and said he would put the car in my name after the car was paid off. Know he is threatning me he is going to sell it. Can he do that if we have verble agreement and I can prove I have been paying him on a monthly basis I even have a receipt that is in my name when I had the car serviced?

Asked on 3/28/11, 1:52 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael Haber Law Offices of Michael S. Haber

The car may have plenty of fuel, but it sounds like your boyfriend is running on empty. (I'm not referring to his legal position, but, rather, his conduct).

Under New York's statute of frauds, a contract for the sale of goods of more than $500 must be in writing. It is possible that the receipts can serve as a contract; I can't say with any certainty because I do not know what the receipts say.

Even if you don't have a claim for the car, you may have a claim for the return of the payments that you made.

Good luck to you.

Read more
Answered on 3/29/11, 6:29 am

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in New York