Legal Question in Civil Litigation in New York

Civil Litagstion

How do I go about representing myself in a civil law suit from my former employer ?

Asked on 1/03/02, 9:57 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Bunji Fromartz Fromartz Law Offices

Re: Civil Litagstion

I assume you are being sued in Civil or District Court, as opposed to Supreme Court. If that is so you just need to go to the clerk at civil court and put in your answer. At that time if you feel the employer owes you money you can counterclaim (put in your demands).

Note whether you were served correctly.

Also go to a law library, available in most Supreme Courts, and make discovery demands: Demands for Bill of Particulars, Request for Oral Examination of Plaintiff and Document and Information Discovery Requests.

It is still a good idea to get an attorney or at least consult with one. Look at the amount you can lose and I am sure you will see it is worth it to hire soneone!

Read more
Answered on 1/03/02, 11:23 am
Robert R. Groezinger GroezingerLaw P.C.

Re: Civil Litigation

I assume that you have been served with papers. There is a limited time in which to answer. Depending on the nature of the suit, legal representation might be your best best. Nonetheless, and Court of Law School might have a legal library inwhich to find form books. Many of these forms must be tailored to meet specific needs.

Good Luck


Read more
Answered on 1/03/02, 12:24 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in New York