Legal Question in Civil Litigation in New York

A czech citizen, (permanent residence in the Czech Republic) has a Czech court judgment for payment for a sum of money (not alimony) against U.S. citizen, the State of New York, who has a U.S. permanent resident and is staying there. He wishes to file a petition for execution of the decision. Our law firm has, unfortunately, no experience with US law, so thatswhy I'm writing for your help. How to process proceed in this case? It's needed some verification of the judgment? Where to file an application for the enforcement of the judgment, or if you could recommend a law firm that is devoted to this issue and would be willing to work with our law firm or advice where to go in this matter.

Thank You very much for your answer.

Asked on 8/01/13, 7:20 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Stephen Starr Starr & Starr, PLLC

NY has a statutory procedure for recognition of foreign country judgments. It is somewhat complicated and beyond the scope what I can summarize in a brief response here as there are a number of issues to consider (both based on statute and other factors). I have covered this topic in a blog on our website at focused on sister state judgments of other US states, but the procedure for foreign country judgments is fairly similar to sister state judgments obtained upon default. This is an area in which my firm has a lot of experience and we have successfully domesticated and enforced a number of foreign judgments. Please contact me directly for further information.

Best regards,



Stephen Z. Starr


260 Madison Ave., 17th Fl.

New York, NY 10016

tel. (212) 867-8165

fax (212) 867-8139


Read more
Answered on 8/01/13, 9:01 am

Roman Fichman Esq. Law Practice of Roman Fichman Esq.

I know Stephen Start and is a terrific collections attorney. You will be in good hands!

Read more
Answered on 8/01/13, 12:34 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in New York