Legal Question in Civil Litigation in New York

I live in new york state and i have no proof of identity. any attempt thus far to gain my personal documents are hindered by the fact i dont have enough identiification to get it in the first place, is there anyone who can help me with this problem?

Asked on 5/21/10, 1:37 am

1 Answer from Attorneys


If you were born in the USA , attended primary through public high school, worked, pay or paid bills, have a library card, have friends or relatives that are citizens and residents of New York, or another state, you can can establish & document proof of your identity, by birth & death record certificates, social security info, school records, bill statements & personal & family tree affidavits, attested to by third parties that have known you for at least 20 years.-

Then, present the above suggested & other documentation to NY Dept of Motor Vehicles, for non driver State ID. It may take a little time to gather all your info, but persistence will yield results.

I once began the process of establishing proofs for an individual by first obtaining a High School record of attendance, that was over 25 years old & had been archived, by the Board of Education. Humans are emphatic record keepers.

If you are from a rural area you might need to investigate census records from when you were a child & find names of other household members & neighbors, that could be helpful in establishing your id; and local record keeping agencies, may be more helpful than you know. Just begin the process of establishing your records, very like you are searching documents re your family genealogy.

Good luck,.

Read more
Answered on 5/25/10, 4:59 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in New York