Legal Question in Civil Litigation in New York

My son who is now 23 lost his mother to a car accident back in 2008 and he was 17 at the time. His step-father at the time supposedly had lawyers and I was told (by his step-father) that my son was included in a lawsuit against the parties involved in driving both the vehicles (the driver of the vehicle his mother was in was charged with driving while HIGH). Also my son had a Trust that his mother setup for him to go to college or until he turned 23 the money would be his. I did my own research and found that that case was settled out of court prior to a hearing exactly ONE year ago. Both my son and I have been trying to reach his (ex) step-father to find out the status of the case and what money should be coming to him(my son). We are getting NO response from his step-dad and I know he reads his email because I sent one to him over 3 weeks ago letting him know that my son was going to be a father and he replied the same day. But when we write asking about the case or anything related to that we get NO response. I have my son calling up there to him leaving voice mails for this "step-dad" to call him back but we dont get any calls back. What are my son's options? Does he even have any options???

Asked on 7/23/13, 2:44 am

1 Answer from Attorneys


You can find out who the lawyer handling the case is; before which judge and part; and how much it was settled and who were the parties to the action. I suggest you obtain a lawyer for a minimal amount to follow thorugh with your search; it is not as simple for a layman.

Read more
Answered on 7/23/13, 7:37 am

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in New York