Legal Question in Immigration Law in New York

i am 20 and a U.S citizen, i would like to marry my boyfriend so he can get his green card now, but i do not want my parents to find out untill i finish college. Is it possible to marry him without my parents knowing?

Asked on 5/25/11, 12:14 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Nicklaus Misiti Misiti Global, PLLC.

There is not requirement your parents know about the marriage, however, he does not get a green card, simply because he is married to a US citizen. There are many other requirements and many forms and filing fees must be dealt with. Moreover, you will have to attend an interview to show your marriage is bona fide. If you really are going to pursue this you should speak with and retain an immigration attorney. For a free consultation you may contact my office at 212 537 4407 or fill out the form on our website

Read more
Answered on 5/25/11, 6:00 am
Seeta Nangia Law Offices of Seeta Nangia

You may marry your boyfriend without your parents knowledge, but this may cause issues when it comes time for your boyfriend to attend his green card interview. USCIS may take issue with the fact that your family is not aware that you are married and suspect fraud. You should seek counsel from an experienced immigration attorney. Good luck!

Seeta L. Nangia, Esq.

Law Offices of Seeta Nangia

Exclusively Practicing Immigration Law

Phone: (415) 273-9123

Email: [email protected]


Read more
Answered on 5/25/11, 10:42 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in New York