Legal Question in Immigration Law in New York

My boyfriend is on a E2 visa, can I marry him in the US to get a spouse visa and be able to stay with him ?I am french and he is australian, is it better for us to get married in the US or in France, also, are Las Vegas marriages legally recognized ?

Asked on 8/08/13, 7:35 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Michael Cho Law Offices of Michael Cho

Yes, you can get married anywhere and become a dependent on his E-2 visa. You can also apply for your work authorization as a dependent on the E-2 visa.

Read more
Answered on 8/08/13, 8:33 am

Marlene Hemmings Marlene Hemmings, Attorney at Law

Assuming you are in the U.S. currently, & in legal non-immigrant status, then you can apply for a change of status to E-2 (dependent) if you get married. Marriages in Las Vegas are valid, as long as it is solemnized by someone authorized to do so by law, such as a Minister, Superior Court Judge, etc.

Read more
Answered on 8/08/13, 2:52 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in New York