Legal Question in Immigration Law in New York

My brother in law had a drunken driving offense and paid a $500 fine and did 3 years probation & completed a drunken drinking program 12 years ago. He had another case "sealed case", no fine, no jail, no probation, case dismissed ten years ago. He has been a permanent resident for 22 years, works and has an American wife and daughter. Can he/Should he apply for his US citizenship? Can he be deported if he does not qualify because of the two cases listed above? He is 56 years old. Does he need a lawyer to apply for US citizenship. Thank you

Asked on 6/29/11, 11:49 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Dianne Brooks The Mandel Law Firm

Your brother-in-law should speak with an experienced immigration attorney who can closely xamine his criminal records and advise him regarding an application for citizenship. In general good moral character requirements look back 5 years, however, certain types of criminal convictions would not only make him ineligible but could jeopardize his permanent residence status. I am based in New York City, please contact me at (646) 430 9384 x101 if your brother-in-law would like a free consultation.

Read more
Answered on 6/29/11, 12:09 pm

Latangie Williams Law Office of Latangie Williams, P.A.

As the other attorney stated, he needs to consult with an immigration attorney as no one can offer advice without knowing the details of his convictions to see if they make him removable/deportable or not. Please call my office at 904-576-2581 or email me at [email protected] for a free case analysis.

Read more
Answered on 6/29/11, 12:21 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in New York