Legal Question in Immigration Law in New York

How to change a foreign birth certificate in the USA?

All my docs have the wrong DOB which makes me 1 yr 5 mth older than I actually am. I was born in a small village at home so my BC was never recorded. But that was needed to come to USA, so my parents got a BC, but b/c of the way age is counted in my country, they put wrong BC. They know I have was born in the year of dog one month after New Years. If I go to an attorney and take it to court with only affidavits as evidence, would they accept it? Or do I have to change the BC from my country? I am in college now and I was around 8 or 9 when these happened so if I try to change it now, would it affect my parents who is Naturalized USC, my siblings, or me? I did not try to naturalize b/c I thought it would be easier to change with GCard. I have been in the USA for 7 years.

Any insight will be appreciated

Asked on 11/03/13, 8:23 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Marlene Hemmings Marlene Hemmings, Attorney at Law

A foreign birth certificate issue can only be addressed within the country in which it was issued. If you are in the United States now, you can contact the Consulate of the country in which you born for more guidance on this matter.

Read more
Answered on 11/04/13, 9:03 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in New York