Legal Question in Immigration Law in New York

My fiance is a Canadian citizen residing here on a spousal visa from a previous marriage. Her paperwork for the divorce is signed and in, we're just waiting for notice from the lawyer that it's final before we get married. Once that happens, what forms do we need to file for her to receive a new visa?

Asked on 2/19/11, 11:23 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Luba Smal Smal Immigration Law Office

You need to know what is her current status: does she have a conditional or permanent residency?

If her permanent residency is permanent, there would be nothing for you to apply for. If it's, however, conditional, you need to know when it's expiring.

If she doesn't have any green card yet, you need to specify on what visa did she come to USA and when, for example, K-1 Fiancee or K-3 Spousal or something else.

Note: The above response is provided for legal information purposes only and should not be considered a legal advice; it doesnít create an attorney-client relationship. If you want to schedule legal consultation, or need legal advice and help, or help with reviewing the documents and paperwork that you prepared yourself - you can EMAIL me at Attorney@ and Iíll send you a confidential Questionnaire and instructions. Or complete an Info Form with a consultation request at . For more information please visit

Read more
Answered on 2/20/11, 11:12 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in New York