Legal Question in Immigration Law in New York

hi, my friend got illegal in 2010, now he is getting married to a green card holder, is he eligible to get green card ?

Asked on 3/11/15, 11:58 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

James Brown Brown Law Practice, PLLC

Hi, the answer to your question depends on facts which you have not provided.

Generally speaking, eligibility for adjustment of status (getting green card) within the United States based on marriage to a green card holder requires that the applicant is in lawful status until the priority date is current (i.e. the green card is available). If the spouse-to-be green card holder naturalizes, adjustment of status might be possible if your friend entered with a visa and overstayed. If your friend entered without inspection, even if the green card holder naturalizes your friend will most likely have to consular process for a green card, and will in all likelihood also need a waiver of the 3/10 year bar which will be triggered upon leaving the U.S.

I strongly encourage your friend to contact an immigration attorney, as his options for obtaining a green card (or lack of options) can only be explained after a full review of his immigration history by a competent and experienced immigration attorney.

Read more
Answered on 3/12/15, 9:25 am
Rahul Manchanda, Esq. Manchanda Law Office PLLC

Hello - please call me at (212) 968-8600. Kind regards, RDM

Read more
Answered on 3/15/15, 11:00 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in New York