Legal Question in Immigration Law in New York

My friend married in the Caribbean and wants to file papers for her husband in new York the thing is she's not working she is on disability how would this affect them

Asked on 7/18/15, 6:36 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

James Brown Brown Law Practice, PLLC

Your friend will need to file an affidavit of support for her spouse, meaning she has to show income which is 125% above the poverty line for her household. The disability may or may not count as income. Either way, she will most likely need to find a joint sponsor for the affidavit of support. There might also be a domicile issue as it is not clear from your post where your friend currently resides.

Your friend needs to seek a consultation with an experienced immigration attorney who can help her through these, and possibly other, issues.

Read more
Answered on 7/18/15, 9:20 am
Rahul Manchanda, Esq. Manchanda Law Office PLLC

Hello - please call me at (212) 968-8600. Kind regards, RDM

Read more
Answered on 7/19/15, 9:28 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in New York