Legal Question in Immigration Law in New York

Im a green card holder and got my green card in 08 and i need public assistence they wont give it to me the answer was from the system make a baby i need help lost my job was getting unemployment they took that away about to los my home please if there someone that can help me

Asked on 7/18/11, 8:54 am

1 Answer from Attorneys


As a Green Card holder you are entitled to a couple of public assistance programs that may not triger a Public Charge Penalty. So far as you stay away from CASH WELFARE and Long Term Care, you can apply for the following benefits:

-Emergency Medicaid

-Children Health Insurance

-Prenatal Care

-Food Stamp Programs -WIC

-School meals

Also, Non-Cash programs like:

-Public housing

-Child care

-Job training or counseling

-Energy assistance

-Head Start program

If you live in NYC, call 311 and tell them you need to apply for non-cash public assistance.

Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 7/18/11, 10:37 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in New York