Legal Question in Immigration Law in New York

Can I use an I-485 receipt at my school as proof of change of status so that I don't have to keep paying tuition as an F1 status student? The lady at the international student office at my school didn't even know what an I-485 form is and despite her lack of knowledge, she says there is nowhere in that document that tells her my status changed. Can anyone help me please?

Asked on 2/15/11, 4:10 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Luba Smal Smal Immigration Law Office

No, you can't. You have to be approved for permanent or conditional residence before you can claim benefits of being a permanent resident.

In this scenario, one would remain an international student until his or her application for adjustment of status has been approved.

If you would like to request a confidential telephone or email consultation regarding your specific situation, or need help with reviewing the documents and paperwork that you prepared yourself, please EMAIL me directly at and I will send you a Questionnaire. Or complete an Info Form with a consultation request at . Office Telephone line is 1-402-210-2040 (please EMAIL first to schedule a consultation appointment). I am an immigration attorney, speak English and Russian, and work with clients from all states and globally.

Note: The above response is provided for legal information purposes only and should not be considered a legal advice; it doesn’t create an attorney-client relationship. For more information or to schedule a consultation, please visit On Facebook, search for "Smal Immigration Law Office, Luba Smal, Attorney at Law".

Read more
Answered on 2/15/11, 5:06 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in New York