Legal Question in Immigration Law in New York

Hi. We signed an affidavit of support for an immigrant, and those things last for 10 years, or until the immigrant gets their citizenship. However, the immigrant changed their mind, and is going back. In addition, she is going to max out her credit cards, and not pay them back. My question is this: is there a way to either terminate the affidavit of support prematurely, report the immigrant to some agency to prevent them from leaving? Any help would be appreciated.

Asked on 12/06/11, 9:17 am

3 Answers from Attorneys


Contact the credit card company about your concerns and ask them to either cancel the credit card or reduce her credit limit drastically.

Read more
Answered on 12/06/11, 9:36 am

Dianne Brooks The Mandel Law Firm

You can't prevent anyone from leaving, however you should know that the affidavit of support

is an agreement with the U.S. government so as long as she's not collecting any public

benefits you aren't responsible.

Read more
Answered on 12/06/11, 10:38 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in New York