Legal Question in Immigration Law in New York

sponsor to blood relation

i am usa citizen and i want to sponsor my brother from pakistan .he is over 21year old not married.I want to know the period to take and fee

Asked on 2/06/07, 4:35 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Patrick Klauss Berd & Klauss, PLLC

Re: sponsor to blood relation

You would have to file Form I-130 and currently the wait is over 10 years for the visa to become available.

Read more
Answered on 2/06/07, 4:41 pm

William Frenkel Frenkel Sukhman LLP

Re: sponsor to blood relation

Aliens in the fourth preference can expect to wait over ten years based on the current visa bulletin before their visa number becomes available. Note that once a petition is filed, beneficiary's travel to the U.S. on a visitor or other non-immigrant visa will become difficult if not impossible. If the beneficiary is already in the U.S., filing a petition confers no immigration benefits until a visa becomes available. Consult an immigration attorney for guidance before filing anything with USCIS.

The above reply is in the nature of general information, is not legal advice and should not be relied on as such.

Read more
Answered on 2/06/07, 4:48 pm
Ruchi Thaker Law Office of Ruchi Thaker

Re: sponsor to blood relation

Your wait will be approximately 11 years before your brother's petition would be adjudicated. Because he would be in the fourth preference category (brother of a United States citizen), he must wait until a visa number becomes available to him. Currently, visa numbers are only available for petitions filed prior to Feb. 15, 1996.

Good luck!

Read more
Answered on 2/06/07, 4:57 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in New York