Legal Question in Immigration Law in New York

i want to sponsor my parents. i take food stamps. is this will affect the sponsoring my parents?

Asked on 10/15/10, 2:39 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Luba Smal Smal Immigration Law Office

Yes, it might affect your sponsoring your parents. As a sponsor, you are required to execute the Affidavit of support and prove that your income is above federal poverty guidelines. Usually, when one receives food stamps, their income is below poverty guidelines. You might need a joint sponsor.

If youd like to schedule a telephone or email legal consultation, need legal advice or help, please let me know and Id be glad to help you. I am an immigration attorney and offer confidential consultations and legal help in matters of the U.S.A. federal immigration law to clients from all 50 States and internationally. Please email your inquiries at [email protected] and Ill send you a Questionnaire. Office Telephone line is 1-402-210-2040 (please EMAIL first to schedule a consultation appointment with an attorney).

Note: The above response is provided for legal information purposes only and should not be considered a legal advice; it doesnt create an attorney-client relationship. For more information or to schedule a consultation, please visit

Read more
Answered on 10/20/10, 4:41 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in New York