Legal Question in Immigration Law in New York

If my wife deviled a baby is USA, as US law, the baby will be US citizen. My question is , what will be baby"s mother or parent's status? Do baby's mother or parent can stay is USA permanently ?

Asked on 8/17/16, 11:45 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Marlene Hemmings Marlene Hemmings, Attorney at Law

The child will be a U.S. citizen, but it gives no legal status to the parents. If the parents are not in legal status in the U.S. right now, then they cannot stay permanently in the U.S. (they will still be considered in unlawful status). The child can petition the parents for U.S. Permanent Residency once the child turns 21 years old.

Read more
Answered on 8/17/16, 12:18 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in New York