Legal Question in International Law in New York

I am a US citizen and have just returned from vacation in New Zealand. When going through customs they found, in my handbag, two small packets of honey (from the hotel) that I had forgotten I put in there. They fined me $400 which I did not have to pay at the time. My question is...since I have no intention of ever returning to NZ is it a big deal if I don't pay this fine? As a foreign national can they somehow flag my passport and affect future travel to other countries?

Asked on 10/31/18, 1:06 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys


I suggest you contact the New Zealand embassy or consulate in the United States and speak to either one of their case workers or trade representative to try to iron whatever misunderstandings might have arisen in Customs. I also suggest you do not provide false information or become agitated; try to resolve it in a gentlemanly manner indicating your love of their country and the wonderful time you spend there where you do not wish your memories to be mired with controversy.

Read more
Answered on 10/31/18, 1:20 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More International Law questions and answers in New York