Legal Question in Investment Law in New York

How do I get money back for a lawyer who owes me money?

I obtained a lawyer awhile back, and paid him a good amount of money upfront. Well, the case I needed him for ended up not being as much as we thought and he owes me some money back. I have written him plenty of times about getting the money back, but I have not gotten any response. What can I do about this?

Asked on 5/28/04, 3:00 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Scott Ziegler Ziegler, Ziegler & Associates LLP

Re: How do I get money back for a lawyer who owes me money?

Did you have a retainer agreement with said attorney and did the attorney send you any invoices? An attorney's invoices must be reasonable under the circumstances. If the fees are excessive and/or if he has not returned money held under a retainer you can report the attorney to the New York Appellate Division Disciplinary Committee for the First Department (assuming NYC region) and they may be able to look into the matter for you. An attorney letter may also work.

Read more
Answered on 5/28/04, 3:10 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Investment Law questions and answers in New York