Legal Question in Employment Law in New York

I work for a corporation as a retail employee. I was promoted and changed stores over a period of 20 years with the company. I am going back to Grad School and transferring to a smaller store and lower job title, when I held that title at a previous smaller store within the company, I made $12 per hour. In the position I am in currently, I make over $20, the small store I am being transferred to into a part time position is now offering me $10.15 per hour. Can the company do this? It seems like I am going back to the same position I had when I made $12. Do I have any rights here?

Asked on 8/08/13, 2:48 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Locksley Wade Law Office of Locksley O. Wade

Generally speaking, your employer can make such a transfer. You may have a claim that may all depend on your answers to the following questions: is this a voluntary or involuntary transfer? Are you over 40 years of age? Do you have any on going medical conditions? Will you lose your medical coverage should be you become a part-timer? You should consider getting a more detailed overview of your situation consulting with an employment law attorney.

Read more
Answered on 8/08/13, 5:08 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Labor and Employment Law questions and answers in New York