Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in New York

Good Morning, last December me and my family were victims of a violent Burglary inside our apartment, due to the traumitizing experience we sent the landlord Dissolvation of Lease Request which was approved. At that time I asked the property manager about my Security Deposit and she said that there shouldnt be any issue getting it back. However, after a month of trying to get a status of when I was going to my money back, property manager emailed me stating that due to the fact that I left before the lease expired they are unable to refund security deposit! Please advice what are my options in the matter

Asked on 3/01/13, 7:12 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Rosenblatt Balsamo & Rosenblatt, P.C.

You must sue the landlord in Small Claims Court to get a refund of your security. When you are in Court on the case, insist on having the case heard by a Judge. Do not go before an arbitrator.

Read more
Answered on 3/01/13, 7:22 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in New York