Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in New York

I have Section 8. My apartment as well as two rows of apartments lost use of our gas functioning stoves in January. The landlord has not fixed the issue yet, as a result Section 8 terminated their contract with the landlord and has ordered me to move. Can I request a financial settlement from the landlord to assist with moving expenses?

Asked on 6/21/18, 10:06 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Carol Ryder Law Office of Carol Ryder PC

I don't have quite as much information as I need. However, remember, time is of the essence-you usually have just a limited amount of time, as little as 21 days, to respond depending on the remedy. It is possible that the landlord just does not want to accept Section 8 anymore, for example, not finding it not economically feasible but wanting the ability to terminate leases without having to go through the proper administrative procedures. This they often do utilizing various harassment "techniques", and not doing repairs on something critical such as stoves (and, think about it, gas lines?). You can contact a landlord-tenant attorney near you or file in landlord-tenant court. That may encourage the landlord to work with you on moving expenses rather than let the court decide his/her/its fate.

Read more
Answered on 6/21/18, 10:44 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in New York