Legal Question in Personal Injury in New York

I live in ny and was getting into a cab and accidentally hit someone's car door (just a scratch) with the cab door. I stuck around, but the cab driver drove away. I had the cab's plate number and I filed a claim with the NYC taxi commissioner and I received the cab driver's insurance info via email. I have been communicating with the person whose car I hit, and he's refusing to go through insurance or file a police report because he doesn't want to go through the hassle. I can't pursue the cab's insurance without a police report, and I've been told the cab would be responsible, b/c my car wasn't involved. The damage is $850 (which is ridiculous for a scratch) and I have the cab driver's info, so he should be held liable to pay. I would like to know if this person can sue me without a police report, even though I've offered to go though insurance or pursue the cab driver. Also, if we did go to court, could it end up costing me more than $850. He seems to be trying to bully me, but I've done nothing but be a decent human being.

Asked on 7/31/11, 3:25 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

David Slater David P. Slater, Esq.

Both you and the taxi owner are responsible. His insurance carrier should provide coverage. Unfortunately, the car owner can choose who he wants to go after.

Read more
Answered on 7/31/11, 5:13 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in New York