Legal Question in Real Estate Law in New York

In 1998 my mother turned her house over to me with my name as owner and granting her a life estate. She died in 2005 , her lawyer told me all I had to do was attach her death certificate to the deed. I would not have to get a new deed. This is in NY. Is the lawyers advice true?

Asked on 5/24/13, 7:36 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Kevin Connolly Kevin J. Connolly

Yes, kinda. You don't attach the death cert to anything. You just supply it to anyone who needs proof that you is the owner. You became such the instant your mother passed away.

Read more
Answered on 5/24/13, 8:58 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in New York