Legal Question in Real Estate Law in New York

I have a neighbor who keeps playing hockey in the street right next to my cars, the puck keeps going under my cars, and I'm watching them constantly hit my cars with their hockey sticks trying to get their pucks/balls out. After calling the cops, they said they're allowed to play in the street and scratches on my cars are not considered damage. Is this the truth or is he a shady cop? How can your neighbor be allowed to constantly hit your property? What else can I do about it?

Asked on 3/13/21, 4:01 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Richard Bryan Richard Bryan Attorney PC

I wouldn't call the guy a 'shady cop' because he didn't want to write a report, but of course if there are scratches then that's property damage. Even if he did write a report, that's not going to get you anywhere. They're not allowed to damage your property, but they can play street hockey. I think your only recourse is going to be to get the scratches repaired, and then sue your neighbor in small claims court. They'll figure out how to play without damaging your property when they have to keep paying for the damage.

Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 3/13/21, 5:02 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in New York