Legal Question in Real Estate Law in New York

Two people are on the deed of a house. Person # 2 live sin the house. Person # 1 does NOT live in the house. person # 1 is the only name on the mortgage. Person # 1 does NOT live in the house. Person # 1 wants nothing to do with this house. THey will sign it over and wants no money. Person # 2 just has to get a mortgage in their name. Person # 2 will not go get a mortgage. Can the courts force Person # 2 to get the mortgage in their name? The house is up for sale but person # 2 makes it undesireable for realtors to come and show the house. Can the courts force person # 2 to move out of the house?

Asked on 11/10/12, 10:12 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

David Slater David P. Slater, Esq.

1 should bring an action in partition to sell. Court will enforce cooperation. If 1 has been paying mortgage, he may have a lien for partial reimbursement.

Read more
Answered on 11/10/12, 10:59 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in New York