Legal Question in Real Estate Law in New York

I am being served with papers for ownership, for property purchased by my husband and a sister and brother, all are deceased,my deceased husband's niece, has sent an attorney letter to me that she is the sole owner,she is an only child, my deceased husband and I also has a daughter, the other brother has no dependents, it's one(1) lot of land she has since probated the estate without our knowledge, and has removed her mother's name and placed it with her name, I have no money to obtain an attorney, could you tell me what can I do, thank you very much, my husband, daughter and myself was not in the country to read of any probate, please help me, we are from Trinidad.

Asked on 7/04/13, 3:27 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Walter LeVine Walter D. LeVine, Esq.

I need to see a copy of the original Deed, as it may explain your rights, or lack of them. Depending on how the original title reads, the niece may be correct. For example, if the original Deed named the 3 owners as owners with "rights of survivorship" and the neice's parent was the last to die, she may be correct. The original Deed registration determines this.

Read more
Answered on 7/05/13, 10:01 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in New York