Legal Question in Tax Law in New York

Hi! Could you let me know if my husband and I are filing our taxes correctly? We obtained a partnership through a DBA in New York State in 2014. He has been filing as a sole proprietor, filing a schedule C for himself with me as an employee receiving a W2. Some have told us that is fine, others have not. If this is not correct, what is the best way to fix the problem? Thanks!

Asked on 3/28/17, 7:19 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Richard Bryan Richard Bryan Attorney PC

You're question can't be answered because it's not clear what you mean by "we obtained a partnership through a DBA. . . ." I can't tell if you formed a partnership with the state, or whether you filed the paperwork to operate your business under an assumed name (a DBA). Except in unusual circumstances, it's one or the other, but not both.

Read more
Answered on 3/28/17, 9:18 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Tax and Taxation Law questions and answers in New York