Legal Question in Tax Law in New York

Moving out of school district & want to keep child in same school

My daughter is currently going to public school and we are moving in three weeks out of the public school district. I had planned on keeping her in the same school, but using my mothers address so that the school wouldn't find out. We are moving one block past the district's cut-off. I would send her to the new school, but it a horendous district. I have been talking to family members and close friends and was told that if the district does find out that we live past the cut-off that they can sue me for the taxes that the ''lose''. Is this true? Or is there a way that I can legally send her to this school after the move?

Asked on 2/23/06, 11:15 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Norman Nadel Norman Nadel, Esq.

Re: Moving out of school district & want to keep child in same school

If you reside outside of the school district you are not entitled to send your child to that school district.

Some districts will permit a child to complete the year in the district when a family moves during the school year; but that is at the discretion of the school board.

With the permission of the schoold district you can pay tuition and send you child there.

Your friends are correct; if the impropriety is discovered, you can be sued for unpaid tuition.

Read more
Answered on 2/23/06, 12:41 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Tax and Taxation Law questions and answers in New York