Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in New York

how to change your property deed

We would like to put our house in our

kids names to prevent the government

from selling our house should we have

to be put in a nursing home at

government expense. they are over

18yrs old.

Asked on 2/09/09, 5:18 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

jeffrey lazroe Jeffrey A. Lazroe attorney at law

Re: how to change your property deed

It is quite easy to deed over the property. However, to make certain that the government does not come in and void the deed to pay for nursing home expenses is quite complicated. You should have a lawyer explore all of the problems.

If you would like to consult with this office, please feel free to contact me.

Read more
Answered on 2/11/09, 10:58 am

John Colonna Colonna & Urso, LLP

Re: how to change your property deed

That's a great idea and a common practice. There's a 5 year look back period that you have to be concerned about and other issues. Transfering the property is not complicated or expensive. Contact me if you want more information

Read more
Answered on 2/12/09, 9:32 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in New York