Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in New York

My father recently died. He is survived by 7 adult children, no other survivors. There is no will. There is a house, how do I protect my rights against siblings who want to sell the house without my permission?

Asked on 1/17/18, 1:32 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Richard Bryan Richard Bryan Attorney PC

Please accept my condolences on the loss of your dad.

Someone among your brothers and sisters has, I'm assuming, already stepped-up to be appointed as Administrator. That's the person who has the legal authority to go ahead and sell the house. If there are 7 children, what is your alternative other than selling the house and dividing the proceeds 7 ways? The Administrator doesn't need your permission to sell the house if he or she has already been appointed. I don't know what your plan of action would be other than to sell the house. What other option is there?

Read more
Answered on 1/18/18, 6:17 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in New York