Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in New York

My mother passed away as a result of a reckless driver. My mother had four daughters. One of which did not speak to my mother or the rest of the family for over twenty years. When my mother passed my sister did not attend the funeral nor did she contribute anything. That was the last time one family member spoke to her. We recently settled a wrongful death suit and now she says she wants money. Is there a way that she can be removed. She had not seen nor spoken to my mother for over twenty one years and told her son that my mother died before he was born.

Asked on 4/02/13, 11:56 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

David Slater David P. Slater, Esq.

This would required legal proceedings. Your attorney should help.

Read more
Answered on 4/02/13, 12:35 pm
Walter LeVine Walter D. LeVine, Esq.

I agree with David. I do not know anything about the case, such as who brought it and how the decision was rendered (who became entitled to the funds arising from the decision). Did your mother die with or without a Will? If she had a Will, was it probated and to whom did she leave her estate? These answers and additional facts may have some bearing on a reply, as more information is needed.

Read more
Answered on 4/02/13, 1:11 pm
Jignesh Shah Law Office of Jignesh J. Shah, LLC

Did your mother have a will? Was the sister excluded under the will?

Read more
Answered on 4/02/13, 1:20 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in New York