Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in New York

A NY surrogate's court has named me "voluntary administrator" for my late daughter's "small estate." She had no will. A duty I have is to establish a bank account in a bank in NY state. How can I do that from another state 3000 miles away? Everyone seems to assume that you will just come to NY no matter how far away you live. There must be a way this gets done. Not everyone will fly in to NY to open an account that will only see a couple of thousand dollars.

Asked on 4/03/11, 11:50 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Michael Markowitz Michael A. Markowitz, PC

Try to use a bank (like Bank of America or Chase) that would have a branch in your jurisdiction. If thate does not work, you would have to retain an attorney to represent the small estate. The attorney would be able to open the account for you.


Read more
Answered on 4/03/11, 1:49 pm
Walter LeVine Walter D. LeVine, Esq.

I agree with Mike, presuming that this cannot be done by mail. A few simple phone calls to banks could resolve this.

Read more
Answered on 4/04/11, 8:11 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in New York