Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in New York

My stepson is the sole beneficiary of a trust left to him by his mother (who is deceased). The trustee recently put a huge sum of money from the trust into the joint account of my stepson and his wife (without my stepson's knowledge). His wife had recently moved out and emptied all of the money from the account. Generally any dispersements from the trust are given when my stepson had put in a request for money. However, in this case he had not made a request. Is there anything he can do? Have any laws been broken? Do you have any advice for him? Should he hire an attorney?

Asked on 4/19/18, 9:03 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Richard Bryan Richard Bryan Attorney PC

Has a matrimonial action been started yet? Your stepson needs to sit face to face with a lawyer who can go over this unfortunate situation and figure out a solution. I'm not sure how the trustee would have woken up one day and decided it was a nice day to transfer money into your stepson's bank account. It seems to me there's something else going on here.

Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 4/20/18, 6:55 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in New York