Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina

What are the legal boundaries of abandonment

My wife has moved in the state of North Carolina and refuses to supply me a divorce or allow me to visit. I have no idea of her where abouts other than a phone number. All of my personal possessions are in her care. We have been seperated for a year and nine months. Is there anything that I can do about filing abandonment or for filing a divorce?

Asked on 2/27/99, 8:00 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Cynthia Carroll Cynthia Y. Carroll, P.A.

Re: What are the legal boundaries of abandonment

North Carolina is a no fault divorce state. You need only show that one of you has resided in the state for six months preceding the institution of the action and that you have been separated for one year. You must file in the county where she is a resident. Be advised that if there are issues in regard to property, you must also file a claim for equitable distribution. The laws in FL may be different, and you may be able to get a divorce in FL as well. You should consult an attorney. Good luck to you.

Cynthia Carroll

Cynthia Y. Carroll, P.A.

1916 S. Glenburnie Road

Read more
Answered on 3/02/99, 9:33 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina