Legal Question in Traffic Law in North Carolina

Man who causes auto accident refuses to accept responsibility

I was involved in a minor rear-end collision on Dec. 4, 2001. I obtained the drivers license and insurance info and, after obtaining a written repair estimate, I attempted to contact the driver to no avail. I contacted his Insurance company and they verified he had full coverage and agreed on an estimate. However, the insurance company also cannot contact their client, and they are refusing to pay for the damages. 1) Should I pursue any further with his Insurance company and press them to pay the claim? I feel they have a responsiblity and I feel I had enough information on their client to validate the claim. 2) Should I attempt to take him to Small Claims Court and have the Sheriff attempt to find him with a summons? 3) Should I simply bite the bullet and contact my own Insurance company and have then fight it out? (I just do not want any increases on my bill!) Thanks for any advice you can give me...this is so frustrating! Next time I will call the police!

Asked on 1/07/02, 6:42 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

James Weeks Law Office of James B Weeks

Re: Man who causes auto accident refuses to accept responsibility

Make written demand ( a letter ) on insurance adjustor that if damages are not paid within ten(10) days, you will file a small claim action

The sheriff will need a correct address and phone # to serve the papers

Read more
Answered on 1/07/02, 8:49 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Traffic Law questions and answers in North Carolina