Legal Question in Administrative Law in North Carolina

When a minor is involved in a automobile accident involving injury to the minor how does the parent which is the minors legal guardian go about collecting the settlement money for the minor once the settlement amount has been awarded.

Asked on 3/06/13, 2:05 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Kirby Law Offices of John M. Kirby

This is a somewhat complicated question. The payer (e.g. insurance company) typically decides whether they want to pay the minor's money to the minor's parents, or to the Court to hold until the child turns 18 years old. If the money is paid directly to the parents, then of course they do not have to do anything to collect it. If it is paid to the court, then the parent can get the funds only if there is a need of the minor that justifies the disbursement.

Read more
Answered on 3/06/13, 3:11 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Administrative Law questions and answers in North Carolina