Legal Question in Civil Litigation in North Carolina

Recovering borrowed property

I loaned a laptop to my ex-girlfriend earlier this year (approx. May 2008). Have been trying unsuccessfully for the last 5 - 6 months to retrieve the property without success. I've gone by at appointed times with no luck, made phone calls, text messages, and notes via internet to her, asking for my property. She always replies with her being out of town or not able to get home or get someone to meet me at her home. The few times she has agreed to bring it to me, she has not done so, with no valid excuse. my patience has worn thin, and I am in dire need of my property. What options are available to me to retrieve my laptop? There are digital notes and texts from her implying that she still has it.

Asked on 12/22/08, 1:55 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Judy Tseng Wake Law Office

Re: Recovering borrowed property

You can sue her in small claims court (filing fee is now $90) by filling out paperwork at the civil clerk's office, 11th floor of the courthouse in downtown Raleigh. Or, contact the police and file criminal charges against her. Good luck!

Read more
Answered on 12/22/08, 10:42 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in North Carolina