Legal Question in Civil Rights Law in North Carolina

I have married into a awful family.. To start out, there is about 30 acres of land in my grandmother in laws name and she allowed her son and signifagant other to move a mobile home on the property 25 years ago under the verbal agreemant that they would pay half the land taxes. Well, needless to say they have not ever paid land taxes. My mother in law now lives with her daughter in the house beside this mobile home they were allowed to move in on the property and have to deal with sons berating and belittleing, slandering signifagent other. She is always calling my mother in law and grandmother in law names and making their life a living hell. I am in Randolph County NC and would like to know of there is any way to make them leave the property. I cannot have any more of this happening to my grandmother in law. She is 85 and deserves a good life. My husband bought a 25 acre lot from my grandmother in law so the 4 acre lot that they and my grandmother in law are living on is still in my grandmother in laws name. If I buy this land as well or if she transfers it to my mother in laws name is there any way we can make these awful people leave?

Please please help me!

Asked on 9/12/13, 5:57 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Unless you own the land, then you cannot evict anyone. I do appreciate your concern, but the real problem is between grandmother and her son. The son needs to control his significant other. Failing that, perhaps your husband could have a chat with him. Maybe even a family intervention.

If you all cannot get along, then either they can sell the remaining acreage to you and you can ask them to vacate the home or the grandmother-in-law can give you or your husband a financial power of attorney which would allow the agent to bring an action on behalf of the grandmother-in-law to hire a lawyer and get rid of these people.

Read more
Answered on 9/12/13, 10:34 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Civil Rights Law questions and answers in North Carolina