Legal Question in Civil Rights Law in North Carolina

i met a man online at a dating service and we had started communicating. He is soon to be divorced and his soon to be ex wife is engaged to be married once the divorce is final. All that to say, she is now harassing me and threatening to contact my work and tell them lies. I am not even dating him but she doesn't believe me. What should I do? I haven't done anything wrong other than knowing her soon to be ex husband. Any advice would be very helpful.


Asked on 7/20/10, 11:47 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

She is blowing smoke. Is the man that you met and his wife in North Carolina? North Carolina is one of the few states in which alienation of affectiong and criminal conversation still exists. However, if you have not had sex with the man in North Carolina, then criminal conversation if off the table so don't worry about it. Don't engage in relations with him though until you see the divorce decree.

For alienation of affection, the wife has to prove that things were fine until you appeared. Did you just have friendly chats or is he talking marriage to you? When did you meet him? If you just talked to the man, then there is not a problem. And if he was already separated, it will be difficult for her to prove that the breakup of the marriage was attributable to you.

Does he have an agreement with his wife whereby she waived any third-party claims for alienation of affection or criminal conversation? If so, then you are good to go, but don't just rely on what the man tells you. Ask him to show you the agreement.

Regarding your work, what kind of relationship do you have with your employer? Can you tell the employer about this crazy woman and her threats? I am not sure what she would even tell your boss or why your boss would even care. Any relationship does not relate to work unless the company has a prohibition about dating co-workers and this man is a co-worker.

If you cannot talk to your boss, get this woman's address. Tell her in no uncertain terms that she is not to contact you again or any third parties. If she does, then you will take legal action against her. Send the letter via certified mail. Date it and keep a copy of it. Call her bluff. If she then tries to contact you, go after her for harassment. If she calls your employer, then you may be able to go after her for tortious interference with business relations and/or defamation depending on what is said. You have to follow through if she does this.

Read more
Answered on 7/22/10, 10:37 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Civil Rights Law questions and answers in North Carolina