Legal Question in Construction Law in North Carolina

i had a contract with a company for $1,880.00 for a retainer wall and a down payment of $940.00 before the project. I gave him the down payment and upon his trust because i was leaving out of town and didn't know when i was coming back. i finish paying him the remaing of the money and he assure me that when i got back home the project would be finish. but it wasn't, I've tried numerous times to reach him. by phone calls and emails, being that the only thing on his business card is a post office address. yet he has never responded to any of my calls, post office request or emails. how do i reach him or find his address to send a certified letter and Will i be able to take him to court for not finishing the job even though there was a contract for the down payment and remaining money after the project was finish?

Asked on 10/28/13, 9:11 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Kenneth Love Ken Love Law

Yes, you can sue him...whether you will get your money back is another story. First you have to find him. Go to your county register of deeds and the NC secretary of state websites and look up this person's name. That is the best way to find him and his business. Once you find him, you can sue him in small claims court.

Be careful who you do business with. I am all for supporting small business as most are fantastic. When you get a business card that is void of much contact information, you should investigate the person before turning over any money.

Read more
Answered on 10/30/13, 6:12 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Construction Law questions and answers in North Carolina