Legal Question in Construction Law in North Carolina

home damage due to builder negligence

Bought a (new) home a little over 5 years ago and now have structural damage due to the foundation pillars not being built in the correct places. I had a structural engineer come to the house to tell me what was the problem and what will be needed to fix the problem. The cost to fix the problem is around $2300.00. Would it be worth it or would I be able to take legal action against the builder for the damages? If the job had been done right the first time I would not have to correct the problem.

Asked on 6/22/06, 12:56 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Kirby Law Offices of John M. Kirby

Re: home damage due to builder negligence

It is probably worth at least contacting a lawyer. You may first want to contact the builder and see if he will take care of the problem. The statute of repose for the action is six years, and the statute of limitations may or may not have run, depending on facts not in your question. Your situation is not unprecedented. The fact that you have an expert opinion weighs heavily in favor of moving forward against the builder.

Read more
Answered on 6/22/06, 9:27 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Construction Law questions and answers in North Carolina