Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in North Carolina

Stop Payment of Check

How do you collect monies owed for automotive repair when the customer agreed to the repairs but decided it cost too much and stopped the payment?

Asked on 9/22/00, 9:36 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jennifer Green-Lee Beaver & Green, P.A.

Re: Stop Payment of Check

You will institute a legal action against that customer. Depending on the amount owed, this can be done in either small claims court, district court, or superior court. Simply put, you have them served with a complaint for money owed. (I am assuming that you have already allowed them possession of their auto.) If you can prove that the customer truly agreed to the repair work then you have a great lawsuit. Even if you are unsure about proving this, you can still get the reasonable value of the benefit conferred (i.e., a car that is now fixed). Please reply to me directly if this does not make sense. Thanks for the questions, Jennifer L. Green-Lee

Read more
Answered on 10/23/00, 12:52 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in North Carolina