Legal Question in Criminal Law in North Carolina

I had an assault charge for over 7 years in north Carolina never knew till 5 years ago.. I went to court and it was continue, due to living and safety reasons I had to flee and go back to my country which is Canada. since this has been so many years do I meet the stat bar limit on this matter? if not what do I have to do to rid myself of this?

Asked on 6/14/13, 9:48 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Amanda Houser The Houser Law Firm, P.C.

A statute of limitations applies to charging you. In other words, you generally must be charged within a certain period of time after a crime has been committed. In your case, you have already been charged - now there is no limit. You could be a hundred and ten, chilling in your retirement home sipping on a Brador or Labatt's and get yanked up to come stand tall before the man. So your best bet is to retain an attorney to resolve this for you. It is even possible they can handle it without you having to come back.

Read more
Answered on 6/20/13, 12:20 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in North Carolina