Legal Question in Criminal Law in North Carolina

my exhusband filed a police report stating debts incurred in 2005 while we were married were used by me without his knowledge or consent and he wants them removed from his credit report. all but one was repaid in 2006-7 by me. he has told the detective that if i agree to send our two kids (9 and 12) to Oklahoma to live with him for 2 years he will not press charges.

Asked on 7/13/11, 9:20 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

And your question is? If you used his credit, it does not matter that the debts were repaid. They are on his credit even though the accounts should be marked as settled. If you did this fraudulently in his name. identity theft is a crime. You need to contact the creditors and see if they will put these accounts in your name and put them on your credit report regardless of whether they were paid or not. Then you need to face the music and let your ex husband press charges if that is what he wants to do.

Child custody is a totally separate issue and he is trying to use extortion to get custody of the kids. They can visit but if you let these kids go it will be hell getting them back. He should not get custody unless this is what the children want anfd they are of suitable age.

Read more
Answered on 7/20/11, 11:37 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in North Carolina