Legal Question in Criminal Law in North Carolina

we live in north Carolina. my son was molested by his granpa who confessed to this. the DA is not being very cooperative with us. we have asked for a guardian ad litem and remote video cam testimony for my son who is only in second grade. don't we have rights to protect him?

Asked on 10/14/17, 12:54 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Amanda Houser The Houser Law Firm, P.C.

This is a horrible and emotionally stressing thing to have to go through, so it is not unusual for one to have their understanding of things backward or clouded. Now is the time for you to be cooperative with the DA not the DA cooperative with you. The DA has a job to do and has to do it in a specific way and that way often includes the right of the accused to face their accuser which trumps any right you may have to now protect your son.. While there are some steps the Court can take to reduce the trauma of testifying, likely the best way to avoid your son having to testify in open court is for grandpa to plead guilty - if he has already confessed, this should not be much of a problem..If you are unsatisfied with the way things are being handled, you may want to consult with a local criminal law attorney who can act as a liaison between you, the DA and the Court. Best of luck.

Read more
Answered on 10/14/17, 2:18 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in North Carolina