Legal Question in Criminal Law in North Carolina

Traffic Violation Laws

I received a speeding ticket (75 in a 55mph zone),but am a resident of Tennessee. If I ask the N.C. judge for a PJC, will the Tennesse licensing system honor that, assuming it is given, or will they only see the ticket given? Do I have any other options of appeal?

Asked on 10/12/99, 4:46 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Donald Gillespie Attorney at Law

Re: Traffic Violation Laws

Good question and I don't know TN law. I know that

some surrounding states have never heard of PJC

so I generally avoid PJC route with out-of-state clients.

Try to plead to Operating a motor vehicle with improper equipment

, a non-moving violation under NCGS chapter 20. That statute

was intended to apply

to people who had broken mufflers etc. but has

become a great way to dispose of cases

so thatthe state gets a conviction of something

adnthe client gets convicted of something

that cannot hurt him. A non-moving conviction in NC

cannot be used by DMV for license points or by insurance companies in NC

to add surcharges under auto insurance. Generally, you will

pay the $86 court costs plus a fine of something,

expect $25 and up. You generally do not have to be present; a lawyer can handle it

without your presence. Exceptions include work zones, alcohol-involved

stops, special enforcement areas. Good luck and thank you for flying with us.

Read more
Answered on 10/14/99, 4:20 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in North Carolina